In 2006, SA Water celebrated 150 years of operation. In 1856, just 20 years after European settlement of South Australia, SA Water was born. Established as the Waterworks and Drainage Commission, we later became known as the Engineering and Water Supply Department (E&WS) and then SA Water.
Since the construction of the first reservoir in 1860, SA Water has continually sought new ways to supply water to the ever expanding population of Australia's driest state.
Today, we take the continual supply of water to our homes, business and industry for granted. But it wasn't always as easy as turning on a tap.
In the early years of settlement, Adelaide relied on the River Torrens to supply its water. However, disease and drought soon gave rise to the demand for alternate, reliable and safe water supplies.
Since the construction of the first reservoir at Thorndon Park, SA Water has been involved with large construction projects, not only building reservoirs to store millions of litres of water, but also building pipelines that cross our State. Water filtration and treatment plants followed as we continued to improve water quality.
The success of the Morgan Whyalla (1940 - 1944) and Mannum Adelaide (1949 - 1955) pipelines resulted in the construction of more pipelines from the River Murray to supplement water supply to South Australia's regional and metropolitan areas.
In addition to supplying safe and reliable water, SA Water has been collecting and treating wastewater since the 1930s - improving the health and sanitation of many South Australian communities.