Authorisations for Trade Waste

Authorisations for Trade Waste

You must have a valid authorisation before you can discharge trade waste into the sewer. The form you need to complete depends on how  complex your business is.

This section explains everything you need to know to apply for an authorisation.

Before you apply, please read the Restricted Wastewater  Acceptance Framework [PDF, 369 kB]. The framework outlines the trade waste general policy requirements. Important authorisation compliance information can be found in this document.

Industry guidelines  and information about how we accept trade waste can be found here.

Which form do I complete?

The form that you complete depends on your business. Read on to see which category you fall into.

Non-complex business

All of the following are non-complex business activities. If your business is one of them, you need to complete this form.

  • animal accommodation
  • auto detailers
  • auto/mechanical repairs
  • auto wreckers
  • bakeries (retail)
  • bakers (small, e.g. cake making)
  • boarding kennels
  • brick cutting
  • butchers
  • cafes, coffee bars/wine bars
  • car yards
  • car yards washing
  • carpet cleaning
  • catteries
  • child care centres
  • cold stores
  • dental practices/GP clinics
  • earth moving equipment cleaning/maintenance
  • electrical repairs
  • fish processing (small operation)
  • florists
  • foundries (non-heat treatment)
  • fruit and vegetable markets
  • funeral homes (non-embalming)
  • general engineering
  • hotels/motels
  • ice cream retailers
  • laundromats
  • metal fabrication
  • milk distribution depots (not processors)
  • monumental masons
  • motels (with restaurants)
  • nursing homes
  • seafood retailers
  • pasta manufacturing (small)
  • plant/equipment washing
  • plant nurseries
  • potters
  • restaurants
  • schools - high schools
  • shopping centres
  • printers (small)
  • sporting clubs (food preparation)
  • take away food retailers
  • vegetable processing (small operations)
  • vehicle panel repairers
  • vehicle washing
  • veterinary clinics.

Complex business

Complex business

All of the following are complex business activities. Generally, if you consider yourself an industrial business, you will fit this category. If you are one of the below, you will need to complete and return this form.

  • abattoirs
  • anodising
  • asphalt manufacturing
  • bakeries (large or non-retail)
  • battery manufacturers
  • beverage manufacturing
  • bottle washing/filling plants (large)
  • car component manufacturers
  • cement manufacturing (batching plants)
  • chemical blenders resellers
  • chicken processing
  • confectionary/snack food manufacturing (large)
  • dairy food processing/ice cream manufacturers
  • drum/container recycling (wash-out)
  • egg processing
  • fellmongers
  • fertiliser manufacturers
  • fish processors
  • food packaging or repackaging
  • fruit or vegetable processors
  • glass etching/printing
  • hard chrome platers
  • heat treatment of metal facilities
  • industrial waste treatment facilities
  • ink/dye manufacturing
  • label manufacturers (large)
  • laboratories (large)
  • large food manufacturers
  • laundries (other than laundromats)
  • lens, optical systems manufacturers
  • maltsters
  • metal finishing
  • metal/forging/casting plants
  • motor car manufacturers
  • paint manufacturers
  • pest controllers
  • pharmaceutical manufacturers
  • phosphating (usually iron or zinc)
  • plastic manufacturing
  • powder coating
  • printers
  • public or private hospitals
  • radiator repairers
  • screen printers
  • smallgoods manufacturers
  • timber preservation facilities
  • train service/wash facilities
  • universities/TAFEs (depending on wastewater volume and potential contaminant loadings)
  • vinegar/wine processing/bottling
  • white goods manufacturers
  • wool scouring
  • zoos

Who needs to complete the form?

The business that will create the trade waste discharge will need to fill in the form. If you are not the property owner, you will need to work with your property owner to properly allocate the responsibility for plumbing and drainage works and other property management matters.

Remember to apply for an authorisation before you engage a licensed plumber to install or modify any required plumbing or fixtures.

Application process

  1. Check which form you need to complete. 
  2. Read through the guidelines for your industry
  3. Complete the correct application form: non-complex business or complex business
  4. Pay the fee
  5. Wait about 10 business days for us to process your application.

If your application  meets all requirements, we will issue your trade waste discharge authorisation. If we need more information however, we may need to arrange a site inspection with you. 

Remember to wait for  your authorisation approval before you engage a licensed plumber to install or modify any plumbing or fixtures.

How to pay the fee

Payments can be made by EFT (electronic funds transfer), post, by phone, or in person.

To pay by credit card or EFT

Call 08 7424 1336 to make a credit card payment, or get EFT information.

To pay in person

Visit SA Water House, 250 Victoria Square, Adelaide  SA  5000.
Our business hours are 8.30 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday.

To pay by post

Post your payment with any application forms or account information to the address below.

SA Water
GPO Box 1751

Make sure you can meet your authorisation conditions

  • Arrange installation of any pre-treatment fixtures or plumbing modifications that are needed. A licensed plumber must do all of these works.
  • Take any other actions to make sure you can meet your authorisation conditions before you start to discharge waste into the sewer.

We will audit your business to confirm that everything is correct. We will also advise you on the best way to meet your ongoing authorisation conditions.

Complex business application form

Non-complex business application form

Can I discharge waste as a once-only event?

No. However, you may be able to have your waste removed and brought to one of our wastewater treatment plants. Please see the Liquid Hauled Waste section of our website for more information.

Tell us what you think

We're always looking for ways to improve our website, and we would appreciate your feedback on this page.

Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us.

Was this page useful?
How can we make it better?

  • Major faults

  • Underway

  • Ingle Cl
  • Ingle Farm
  • 19/11/2017
  • Water On
  • 20/11/2017 02:35 AM - We are on-site responding to an incident in Ingle Farm. Water should now be back on. Our crews may remain on site to perform further work. Traffic restrictions may also apply. Reference Number WO: 06107513.
  • See all major faults

  • Scheduled works

  • Underway
  • Barnett Av
  • St Marys
  • 20/11/2017
  • Supply Interruption
  • Estimated start time (water off): 22/11/2017 09:00 AM
    Estimated restore time (water back on): 22/11/2017 04:00 PM

    We’re committed to improving your services and are undertaking maintenance work in St Marys. Water supply in the surrounding area may be impacted during the above times. Traffic restrictions may also apply.

  • See all scheduled works