Sewer Blockages

Sewer Blockages

Sewer blockages occur in wastewater pipes. They usually occur when there is something in the pipe restricting proper flow.

Common causes of sewer blockages include:

  • tree roots
  • fat, oil or grease build-ups
  • foreign objects
  • sewer line collapse.

Preventing blockages

All foreign objects have the potential to disrupt our wastewater system’s operation.

Selecting certain trees and shrubs for your garden can assist in preventing blockages. You can read more here PDF, 284.04 KB.

Wet wipes are another problem for the wastewater industry.

Wet wipes are moist cloths often used for personal hygiene, however they are not designed to be flushed down the toilet.

While toilet paper breaks down in around 30 seconds, wet wipes are much stronger and don’t easily disintegrate in the wastewater system.

As well as the costs involved in removing them from the wastewater system, wet wipes can damage your plumbing and cause environmental issues, such as overflows to creeks and waterways.

Look after your sewer system and the environment by placing wet wipes in the bin rather than flushing them after use.

What do I do if I have a sewer blockage?

If you have a sewer blockage in the private sewerage pipes on your property, call a licenced plumber.

If you think the sewer blockage is in SA Water's pipes, please call our Customer Service Centre. Our Service Centre staff will ask you some questions to work out the likely location and cause of the problem.

We will then come out to the property, clear the blockage. We will also give you additional information or advice.

If your plumber finds that the blockage is in our infrastructure, they will contact our Customer Service Centre to have the problem fixed. Plumbers are not allowed to do any work on SA Water's infrastructure.

Who can make a sewer blockage claim?

Plumbers can make sewer blockage claims. If you are a plumber, you can make a claim only if you have:

  • attended a property to fix a sewer blockage
  • found that the problem is in SA Water's infrastructure
  • called SA Water to report the blockage
  • a job number that relates to your call.

How can I make a claim?

  1. Complete the Plumbers Claim reimbursement form PDF, 265.58 KB.
    This must be done while at the property. You will need to get the customer's signature before you lodge the claim.
  2. Attach a copy of an invoice for the approved reimbursement amount. The invoice must be on your company letterhead. (Reimbursement amounts are listed on the second page of the claim form.)
  3. Lodge the claim with SA Water within 60 days of the work being performed.

How long will it take for my claim to be processed?

Your claim will be processed within 30 days of its receipt.  If the claim is not eligible, we will return it to you with further information.

Tell us what you think

We're always looking for ways to improve our website, and we would appreciate your feedback on this page.

Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us.

Was this page useful?
How can we make it better?

  • Major faults

  • Reported

  • California St
  • Nailsworth
  • 25/11/2017
  • Water Off
  • Last Updated: 25/11/2017 09:32 AM - We are on-site responding to an incident in Nailsworth. Water may not be available in the surrounding area until 25/11/2017 04:00 PM. Traffic restrictions may also apply. Reference Number WO: 06114942.
  • See all major faults

  • Scheduled works

  • Underway
  • Scot Rd
  • Dernancourt
  • 25/11/2017
  • Supply Interruption
  • Estimated start time (water off): 28/11/2017 09:00 AM
    Estimated restore time (water back on): 28/11/2017 04:00 PM

    We’re committed to improving your services and are undertaking maintenance work in Dernancourt. Water supply in the surrounding area may be impacted during the above times. Traffic restrictions may also apply.

  • See all scheduled works