Liquid Hauled Waste

Liquid Hauled Waste

Liquid hauled waste is used water from industrial, commercial or domestic customers who are not connected to the sewerage network. It may also include some wastes not deemed appropriate for discharge to the sewerage network. This used water is delivered to one of our septic waste disposal stations  by an approved liquid waste hauler.

For details on how to become an approved liquid waste hauler, please refer to the guideline .

Liquid hauled waste may fall into one of the following categories:

  • Domestic
  • Non-domestic
  • Once-off trade waste
  • High strength organic waste for co-digestion.

We only accept liquid hauled waste if:

  • the type and quantity of contaminants can be safely and effectively treated at our receiving plants
  • it doesn’t impact the ability to reuse any treatment end-products
  • our compliance with our environmental license conditions is not compromised
  • a licensed hauler has a permit from us for the purpose of making the delivery
  • we have agreed to accept batches of non-domestic hauled waste or high strength organic waste from a business.

For more detailed information, please refer to Section 5 of our Restricted Wastewater Acceptance Framework.


Domestic liquid hauled waste is classified as:

  • Holding tank – collected from portable toilets, grey water is also in this category.
  • Septic – the contents of domestic septic tanks including the sludge.

Authorised liquid waste haulers may discharge both these categories of domestic liquid hauled waste at our septic waste disposal stations for which they are authorised. These discharges will be subject to the conditions set within the hauler’s authorisation and station opening hours.

Private domestic customers do not need to apply for any authorisation to discharge their septic tank waste. This discharge is controlled under the authorised liquid waste hauler’s permit.

For more detailed information, please refer to Section 5 of our Restricted Wastewater Acceptance Framework.

Haulers may refer to the Discharging Domestic Hauled Waste Guideline for details on how to discharge domestic wastewater at our metro disposal stations.


A business or organisation producing non-domestic used water (i.e. used water not falling within the domestic categories above) that is not connected to, or not acceptable for discharge to our sewerage network, may apply directly to us for an authorisation to discharge non-domestic hauled waste.

The authorisation is similar to an authorisation to discharge trade waste except a liquid waste hauler collects the discharge and delivers it to our septic waste disposal stations.

To get authorisation, you must lodge a non-domestic liquid hauled waste application form and pay the application fee. Once the form has been lodged, the hauled waste officer will assess whether the used water is suitable to be accepted and poses no risk to our staff or treatment plants.

Part of the assessment will require sample results endorsed by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA). Test requirements will vary depending on the type of non-domestic used water being discharged.

If your application is accepted, you can then organise an authorised liquid waste hauler of your choice to transport the waste to one of our disposal stations.

The non-domestic hauled waste charges  apply.

Once your used water has been accepted as a non-domestic liquid hauled waste, you may discharge subsequent batches under the same authorisation, with no need to apply for another authorisation. But you must lodge a batch discharge notification form for assessment before arranging transport by your authorised liquid waste hauler. There may be a need for additional NATA endorsed sampling. Non-domestic hauled waste discharge fees will apply to any subsequent discharges.

A more detailed overview of the process can be found in Section 5 of our Restricted Wastewater Acceptance Framework and our Discharging Non-Domestic Liquid Hauled Waste Guideline .

Once-off trade waste

A once-off trade waste discharge is a single discharge or a short series of discharges arising from an unexpected or non-routine occurrence. It generally falls outside of the normal trade waste management process and may include but is not limited to:

  • dewatering of construction sites
  • draining of commercial swimming pools
  • used water from a failed industrial process.

The discharger must apply for authorisation by completing and submitting a once-off trade waste discharge application form and paying the appropriate hauled waste application fee. A NATA-endorsed analysis of the contaminants in the used water is normally required to ensure a thorough assessment can be made.

If your used water be accepted, you will be issued an authorisation containing all the conditions that must be adhered to during the discharge.

Discharges will be charged at the non-domestic hauled waste rates for volume and the weight of contaminants.

A more detailed overview of the process can be found in Section 4.10.5 of our Restricted Wastewater Acceptance Framework and our Once-off Trade Waste Discharge Guideline .

High strength organic waste for co-digestion

Some trade waste customers may produce used water that is high in organic loading due to the type of business they are operating. This high strength organic waste can cause severe damage to the sewerage network and can be costly for businesses to treat to acceptable levels or dispose of via the sewer.

Typical industries that produce this type of used water, which generally contains sugars, starches or fats are:

  • food and beverage producers
  • dairy producers
  • confectionery producers
  • breweries or maltsters.

With this in mind, we have provided a facility at the Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant to accept this waste and co-digest it along with our treatment plant sludge. This disposal method prevents damage to our sewerage network and reduces treatment costs and solid residues for landfill. It also removes the waste at its source and ensures the customer’s contaminant levels are compliant with their trade waste authorisation limits. This can help reduce their trade waste charges.

We currently accept this waste at no cost as it has an added benefit of helping us produce slightly higher levels of methane gas within our digesters which then produces electricity to help power Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant.

To have your used water or sludge assessed for acceptance at our co-digestion facility, please complete and return the high strength organic waste disposal application form .

Our Hauled Waste Officer assesses applications and arranges to sample the waste for laboratory analysis and a ‘eudiometer trial’ which will assess the ability of the waste to produce methane gas.

If your high strength organic waste is accepted for disposal, you will be issued an agreement with conditions to be met regarding delivery of your waste. You will be responsible for transporting the waste to our co-digestion facility so you may then engage an authorised liquid waste hauler to carry out the deliveries on an ongoing basis as scheduled in the agreement.

A more detailed overview of the process can be found in our High Strength Organic Waste for Co-digestion Guideline .

Haulers can find their responsibilities and further details in our Delivery of High Strength Organic Waste for Co-digestion Guideline .

What to do with other liquid wastes

If your liquid waste doesn't meet our criteria, you can consign it to a licensed liquid waste contractor. These contractors will treat or dispose of your waste.

Our wastewater treatment plants cannot accept ad hoc discharges of portable toilet contents from sources like mobile homes. There are a number of designated dump points in regional towns and some caravan parks for this waste.

If you are a caravan park or business who wishes to install a designated dump point within our sewer network, please refer to our Portable Domestic Waste Dump Point Guideline .

More Information

More information can be found in the Restricted Wastewater Acceptance Framework and the hauled waste requirements .

Tell us what you think

We're always looking for ways to improve our website, and we would appreciate your feedback on this page.

Please note we cannot respond to any comment made here. If you need a response, please contact us.

Was this page useful?
How can we make it better?